Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Devil's Breakfast

I was recently at a hotel that offered a full buffet breakfast included as part of the room charge to everyone staying in the hotel. When I stood in line and it came my turn to load up my plate I happened to turn and see a man carrying a plate with about 1200 calories of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, butter, sour cream and omlettes. He was not a sickly or obese person but in my minds eye I could already see him lying in his casket with his poor wife and children gathered around. Another victim of the Devil's Breakfast!

I paused, oversized spoon in hand, poised above the fried potatoes with bits of bacon scattered through the oversized chafing dish. Then I felt the Devil tap me on the shoulder and felt my coronary arteries holding on for dear life. A thin smile came to my face as my competitive spirit took up the challenge. The Devil whispered to me, "Hey, you're a doctor, you're a triathlete, you are in pretty good shape so....lets show this guy what a really serious breakfast is all about!"

I narrowed my eyes, grabbed a second plate, pushed a little kid aside and loaded up with all the deep fried animal products I could find and smothered them with eggs and cream cheese then I peered around and set my sights on....the waffle buffet. Four blueberry waffles with whipped cream and a pot of coffee later I was headed out convinced that I had set some kind of record for surviving the most toxic breakfast known to man. The Devil had moved on down the buffet line to whisper to another breakfast guest and claim another victim. I didn't care! I felt great!

It's not every morning you get to cheat death and have waffles to boot.