Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Job Well Done

"I feel like I'm pretty much who I am, for better or worse, whatever that is. I'm trying to coach a football team. I'm trying to get them ready to play and...win. That's what my job is."
Bill Belichik - Head Coach of the New England Patriots


"We could be heroes, just for one day."
Heroes - David Bowie

As a husband, father, brother, son and doctor I have had to come up with a way to compartmentalize my life so that my day can run smoothly and all of the tasks and projects can be completed efficiently.

Job: My 'job' can best be described as the way I choose to conduct my life. My job in life is to be; healthy, be a good husband and father, to be productive, creative and to basically look out and protect my physical and emotional health for the longest time possible. This is the most important category because if I do not conduct the fundamental aspects of my life in a healthy way then the other two parts of my life will not work. My 'job' includes; exercising, eating correctly, sleeping soundly, taking time to laugh, spend time with my family and cultivate meaningful relationships.

Business: My 'business' is running my medical practice every day. This is what I do to generate income for my family, and it is where I work closely with other people. My business is what I do every day in the community that require people skills, management skills and conflict resolution skills. The business is the venue where I practice my profession and spend capital I have built in the life that I have created by doing my 'job'.

Profession: My 'profession' is to be a medical doctor. This required years of study, sacrifice and comittment to achieve. Now my 'profession' requires daily practice and dedication to constant learning and development within this complex and demanding line of work.

Summary: We are all given a set of gifts, skills and opportunities in life. We all face challenges, defeat and disappointment from time to time. Some of us are born into wealthy families, some into poor, chaotic and dysfunctional families. Many people are exposed to drugs, violence and abuse and face tremendous obstacles in life. The manner in which we conduct ourselves and our attitude towards our life work and our personal journey helps to determine our life choices, our health, success and happiness.