Sunday, May 31, 2009

Jean Therapy

Sometimes I just don't feel like getting dressed up to go to work. I think back to when I just used to throw on a t shirt and pair of jeans in my late teens and go outside to work in the sun every day and how great that was. A couple of pairs of shorts, three or four t shirts and some sneakers would last for months in the summer and sometimes on into the fall.

Now, I have a tie and an ironed shirt, clean socks and shoes and a belt. The tie was the last to join the wardrobe and even now I have a difficult time putting one on. Besides, we all know now how germy ties can get.

Back in the days of jeans and t shirts, some things never really seemed to matter. I did'nt have a car so there were no car payments. There were only two keys on my keychain and since I did'nt own a car, one of the keys went to some mystery lock somewhere. We had music cassettes back then and were able to make 'mix tapes' of our favorite music. The hair was longer and I occasionally had to hitch hike to get to work.

Now that I am all grown up with a real job and all, I sometimes miss the free and easy days when I used to wear jeans to work. I have about seven keys on my key ring, two cars, a bank account, car payments, kids braces, mortgage and a 401K. Like most married guys my age we keep relics of our past around to remind us of how things used to be before we took on all of this responsibility. My wife has to put up with a drawer full of old t shirts and some shorts and a cardboard box containing some of my most precious 'stuff'.

My days of traveling the world, living on a shoestring and going without health insurance are over. Sometimes on a Sunday morning as I pull on my jeans to go wash the car or clean out the garage I kind of miss that simple life. Then when my daughters call me to pull them in their sled or help fix their bike or when my wife needs me to run an errand involving something called, 'topsoil' I am glad to have my jeans and am happy to be a husband and father.