Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Deaf Social

One of the most inspiring parties I have ever attended was at a gathering of about 150 deaf people. I was invited by my sign language teacher when I was in college several years ago. The whole class was invited but I was the only one to make the trip on the bus out to the hall where the event was to take place. The gathering was called a 'Deaf Social' and believe me when one of these things is arranged, you had better come ready to party! Deaf people love to dance, are intensely social and love really LOUD music. The music is so loud because they obviously have to feel the rhythm to dance. Their conversation is uninterrupted by the music because they communicate with ASL (American Sign Language) so they can be sharing an intimate joke while standing right next to gi-normous music speaker.

One of the interesting thing about standing and watching many deaf people sign together is that you can view multiple conversations at the same time without leaving your chair. I'm sure that there is a certain code for secrecy and a way for people who use visual forms of communication to 'whisper' to each other but I saw none of that at this event.

If you are ever an invited guest to a deaf social, I encourage you to go. The people I met that evening were among the most interesting and amusing people I have ever met anywhere. The jokes are funnier, the camaraderie is more intense, the people are so animated that hearing people seem like store window manniquins in comparison. Take my word for it, you will be amazed.